In 1793 John Graves Simcoe, the first Governor of Upper Canada, ordered the Queens Rangers to build a Saw Mill, which he named the Kings Mill. ┬áThis was the first industrial site of what is known today as the City of Toronto. The Kings Mill was leased and later bought by Thomas Fisher. The Mill was poorly constructed so Thomas Fisher replaced this original Lumber Mill with a Grist Mill in 1834 located a few yards North of the original Mill. Years later William Gamble, Etobicoke’s first Reeve, bought this Grist Mill and shortly thereafter built a new and larger Mill that eventually was destroyed by fire in 1849. Not to be deterred, Gamble had a 4th Mill constructed. The stone, lumber and the heavy beams for this Mill came from the Humber Valley.