Among the World’s Healthiest vegetables, spinach comes out at the top of the ranking list for nutrient richness. Spinach is one of the best dietary sources of lutein, which makes it a particularly important food for the promotion of healthy eyesight and the prevention of cataracts and macular degeneration.
This antioxidant – loaded green will keep you lean. Spinach is a fantastic source of carotenes, vitamin C and K, and folic acid. It’s a great source of magnesium, iron, manganese and vitamin B2. It’s also a very good source of vitamins E, B1 and B6.
Scientific study has identified no less than 13 different flavonoid compounds known as methylenedioxyflavonol glucuronides found in spinach which function as anticancer agents.
Calorie for calorie, leafy green vegetables like spinach with its delicate texture and jade green colour provide more nutrients than any other food. Although spinach is available throughout the year, its season runs from March through May and from September through October when it is the freshest, has the best flavour, and is most readily available.
Choose spinach that has vibrant deep green leaves and stems with no signs of yellowing. The leaves should look fresh and tender, and not be wilted or bruised. Avoid those that have a slimy coating as this is an indication of decay.
Do not wash spinach before storing as the exposure to water encourages spoilage. Place spinach in a plastic storage bag and wrap the bag tightly around the spinach, squeezing out as much of the air as possible. Place in refrigerator where it will keep fresh for up to 5 days.
Some Spinach Ideas:
* For a nutrition boost, use fresh spinach leaves in a wrap or sandwich instead of lettuce.
* Add layers of spinach to your next lasagne recipe.
* Make a yummy healthy dip: Mix one package of frozen spinach (defrosted and drained of water) with 3/4 cup of Greek Yogurt, and sprinkle any of your favourite herbs and spices.
* Stir Fry leaves with a little minced garlic, olive oil and a few chopped nuts.
* Serve any entree on a bed of spinach instead of over carbs, such as rice or pasta.
Come enjoy our Baby Spinach and Arugula Salad from our lunch menu, with Clementines, Red Onions, Candied Pecans and Poppy Seed Vinaigrette, a healthy and delicious option.